First of all, let me start this off by saying living in another country is such a wonderful experience. I am experiencing things that most people only dream about. I am going places that most people will never go. However, to be able to do these things, it takes A LOT of effort on my part to make sure that my family is settling into life in a strange country. It wasn't like we moved from California to New York. We moved 1/2 way across the world. We are in a culture we are not familiar with. We are having to do everything in a different language. From ordering dinner, to going to the grocery store, to going to the park. And for those that are not familiar with living overseas, that takes A LOT of energy and effort. I am not living on a military base. I am living in a town that other people have lived in their entire lives. I am living dead center in a city like Los Angeles where everyone goes about their day and has no clue who the "new" people are. Unlike base, where you see people move in and out and you see moving trucks on the streets. I am literally smack dab in the middle of a strange culture. My energy is focused on taking care of my family. It is focused on making sure that I create a life here, knowing that in a year, I will be having to do this all over again.
So, forgive me if I have not been able to call. Forgive me if I haven't been able to "be myself". We have been here just shy of 6 months. I can count on my hands the number of people who have called. The letters that I have gotten in the mail, etc. Do I hold that against any of you? NO! I am busy being a mom and a wife, a student and an employee. I am helping others transition into life in a strange country. I am giving of myself in ways that you will never understand. Do I ask that you try to be compassionate? Yes. Do I ask that you understand? No. Nobody will ever understand unless they have been in these shoes or have had this experience. Even those who have lived in another country but with Military will never understand. Luckily, I have been able to talk to other FS (Foregin Service) that have had to do the same thing. I am not alone in feeling exhausted trying to build a life. I am not alone when I get frustrated because I can't run to the store and buy corn tortillas or Peanut Butter. But, I am allowed to be frustrated when I am working so hard for my family that when others are feeling neglected I am allowed to have that "Oh Well" attitude. I'm allowed to have that because they don't understand. So, if you are one of the people that are feeling a little neglected, I apologize. Please feel free to call. I will make time to chat and laugh and talk. But, know, that the phone works both ways, and just because I have not called, does not mean that I don't think about home. I think about "home" every second of every day. I miss so much about home, and it sucks. But, I am here, living my life for my family and there is nothing that can make me feel bad about that. We have a phone number that is through Vonage so it is a Camp Pendleton Phone #. If any of you would like it, and any of you would like to call. PLEASE feel free to do so. Remember, we are 6 hours ahead of EST, 7 hours ahead of CST, and 9 hours ahead of PST. So, if you would at least take that into consideration, that would be FANTASTIC. But, if you can't, and we are awake, I will ALWAYS answer the phone.




No comments:
Post a Comment