Friday, October 23, 2009

What a Morning!

Guess what we did today!!!

We overslept! Christopher woke up at 8:09am and said, "Mom, do I have school today?" Considering their bus picks them up at 8:10 and it's a 5 minute walk to the bus stop and we still had to get dressed and eat breakfast, there was no way we were going to make it...so nope he wasn't going to school. I suppose that if this would have happened on any other day, I would've gotten them out the door as quick as possible and jumped on the metro, tram & bus (we have to take all 3 to get to their school). But, of course there was a transit strike today! I guess these happen fairly often here, and they announce them ahead of time (that's how I knew) but this was the first one since we've been here! Go figure!

Since they already missed a day of school this week (for a head lice scare) Brian and I figured they should go to school. So...the kids and I got ready and ended up taking a Taxi. I do have to say that the Taxi ride was nice. It gave the kids and I time to chat with no real distractions. Kyleigh reminded me that this was the first time she has been in a car since we arrived here. The last time the kids were in a car was on 8/29! The day we arrived here and the Marines picked us up from the airport. She said to me, "Mom, it's weird to be in the car again. I haven't ridden in one in a long time." I didn't even think about it, but was so surprised to see the Taxi ride from her point of view. (I was busy scoping out some local stores and places we could maybe try out and visit.) Christopher saw a store with some aliens in it. The name of the store is Space Trip. He said, "Mom, is that in English?" Of course he didn't know. He sees the same letters and he is just now starting to read, so even things written in another language that use our letters say something in his mind. He just doesn't know what language it is in. He did say that Uncle Scott would LOVE that store! It's funny how much you can learn or absorb just by 30 mins in a Taxi.

Well, just so you all know, we got to school around 11:00. It was just in time for Christopher to have lunch. I walked the kids in to their class and then jumped back in the cab and headed home. Of course, the traffic today was a NIGHTMARE. People who usually take public transportation had to drive and that just crowded the streets. Then there was an accident (big surprise there, I know) a motorcycle was laying on it's side and there were ambulances and police cars and part of the road was closed. But, in the end, I made it home! And, it only cost me 60 euro, which is...are you sitting down for this? $90!!!! EEKS! I should've kept them home!


No comments:

Post a Comment