Brian and I took a short trip down to the Tuscany region. I have to say, this is by far, my favorite region...not that I've been to all that many, but the times I have been to Tuscany I have fallen in love with it. The drive alone is so relaxing. Instead of the hustle and bustle of Milan we look forward to entering, what seems like, another world.
Of course, leaving Milan is always interesting. First, we must attempt our feat through the overly aggressive driving only to enter the rather amusing driving of the Autostrada. We quickly learned that the lines on the Autostrada are pretty much just a suggestion and that driving "in" a lane, isn't too popular. But, it's still a much more relaxing drive since we don't have Motorinos (Scooters) or Motogrande's (Motorcycles) coming at us from all directions. There aren't horns blaring every 10 seconds and even though many times, people will drive half in one lane and half in the other, it is much more relaxing.
Down the Autostrada we go. Charley is enjoying the drive just sleeping in the backseat. I hang out with Brian just chatting and taking in the scenery. Almost immediately after leaving Milan...about 20 mins in our drive (once we get on the autostrada), the scenery dramatically changes. The tall, dull colored office buildings and apartments, almost magically transcend into rolling green hills and fields of wheat or flowers or just meadows of vast green nothingness, except for an old Villa and maybe a barn. Occasionally, in the distance, atop the hills you can see a church bell tower watching over little villages. There are old, run down buildings that I wonder what it was. Was it a barn or maybe a villa?
Five hours later, we pull into the town we will be staying in for the next couple of days, Chianciano (Key-on-chee-on-oh). Our friends, NC & NA, were there with lots of welcoming smiles. After all, this was going to be a special day. E was to be baptized in the same church her Mommy and Daddy were married at six years earlier. Our friend NC, has grandparents that live in this town. Her Mom, Sister, Brother-in-law, and two nephews came to see the new little addition and to visit family. I must say, from the moment I met P & M, (who are 8 & 5, respectively), I knew they were smitten on their baby cousin. Any time she made a peep, they were right by her side. What a lucky girl to have such love around her. The church was beautiful. Built in the early 1600's (I believe) it was small but bright. The priest told us that the farmers would bring their flock of sheep through to have them blessed. The church has gone through quite a bit of renovation, but everything inside is still original, just getting some TLC over the years.
The next day, was 4th of July. Sure is strange being so proud of ones country and knowing that every year on this one day, we celebrate the birth of our nation. It's a little sad being in another country and going along with your day, knowing that at the end of the day there will be no fireworks, no celebration. We spent our country's birthday in the town of Montepulciano (Mon-ta-pull-chee-on-oh). At every meal, the eight of us toasted "Happy 4th of July." Although we are 1/2 a world away, we still celebrate...even if it is in our own hearts. We stayed up late sitting on the "porch" of the hotel, enjoying some wine and some beer, just chatting and laughing. I wish I could put into words how comforting that evening was.
On a side note, while in Montepulciano, we had the most AMAZING wine. Funny, but before entering my new life in Italy, I was not fond of wine. I would occasionally have a glass of white, but you could never find me sitting at lunch or dinner sipping on a glass of red...NEVER! Well, I have to say...now, I have found a couple of favorite reds. My first favorite is Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and my second is Nero d'Avola. I find myself during dinner, ordering a red wine.
Also, playing with NC & NA's nephews really made Brian and I miss our babies. I know they are loving their time in CA...so much so, I think they might want to stay, but I can't wait to hug them again. I can't wait to get up at night and check on them sleeping soundly in their beds. I can't wait until the hustle and bustle of mornings are upon us.
Thank you N&N for sharing your special day with us. For introducing us to your Grandparents and Mom and Sister and her family. I loved every single moment I spent in your Grandparent's town.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment