I found this picture doing a google search. There were so many pictures to choose from. Some with the towers, some without. Some with the planes hitting the towers, some of the NYC Skyline after the towers fell. Pictures of people running, covered in dust...crying. Pictures of firefighters and police officers coming together...responding. Pictures of AMERICANS...coming together as ONE. The reason I chose this picture is because I vividly remember the pictures of the attacks like it was yesterday...only, it wasn't pictures, it was live on television, and they will forever be embedded deep into my memories.
I'll never forget the horror of what was happening. I was spending the morning like I did every other morning. Getting ready for work. My little Sister was in CA with her son. This was supposed to be a happy week. My brother-in-law and some of my very best friends were returning from a six month deployment. They were sitting off the coast of California floating around until it was time to "head home". This was two days away (I think). Later that week, we were going to welcome them home. I always had the Today Show on in the background. The "old" Today Show, with Katie Couric and Matt Lauer. All of a sudden, they were talking about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. WHAT? How is that possible? What a horrible, horrible accident! Those were my immediate thoughts. All of a sudden, the news turned from it being an accident to it being an attack. Immediately, I ran downstairs and woke up my sister. My phone started ringing off the hook, I was calling Brian to find out anything (not that he'd know). I called Amy, my sister in law...or maybe she called me. I don't know. I just remember phone calls. And then watching the Pentagon get hit and then Pennsylvania. I remember thinking about a childhood friend who I had known became a flight attendant for United. I remember praying for her and her family, although we hadn't talked in ages. I remember crying with my Sister, because I was sure they were going to turn my brother-in-laws around and who knew when we'd see him again. I remember thinking I had to get to work. I left Ky with her daycare provider and tried to go on with my day. I was at work for a few hours, talking to colleagues, checking the internet, going to the break room to watch the news. I really don't think any of us got anything done that day. I think we were all just trying to find some "normalcy". Well, my normalcy was about to be rocked to the core. Another girlfriend called me to tell me to get home because the base was about to go on lock down. All I could think about was my baby girl and I needed her. She needed me. I worked from home for the rest of the week. I watched the news. I cried. I felt an enormous sense of pride. I can't begin to tell you how proud I
Well, we got to Welcome Home my brother and my friends. What a joyous day. But, during that day, there was still a sense of melancholy, because we all knew that at any second they could be called to defend America...they were Marines.
I remember shortly after 9/11, ten days...maybe, my baby brother left for Korea. He's in the USAF. I remember standing at Ontario Airport saying
Well, we've made it to the nine year anniversary of the attacks. As a family we have sacrificed so much towards the war on terror. Brian has deployed, we've missed birthday's, anniversary's, and major holidays in support of our freedom. I am proud of my husband. I am proud of my family. Most of all I am proud that none of us let 9/11 define us and I am proud to say I will Never Forget.
I don't think I have done justice to what I would love to convey. I wish I had the ability to write with words that can tell a story. To truly describe my heartfelt emotions.
Where were you on 9/11? How did you spend the days or weeks after 9/11? We all have a story and I'd love if you would share yours with me.
In closing, I am going to leave you with a video that I hope you will enjoy.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!





I was at work - Mercy General. Working my normal night shift - I checked a woman & her husband into their room in prepration for the birth of their daughter. When I returned to the room to start her IV - her husband had turned on the TV for a distraction. It was then that all 3 of us watched in terror the crash of the first plane. My heart immediately sank as I thought of my brother, the brave Marine and prayed from my very core that this was not the last time we would see him. I knew immediately that sometime soon he was going to fight this war for our freedom. I stood in front of the TV with tears running down my face and quickly excussed myself. I could only think of my brother and his family- knowing they were seeing & feeling the same thing. I called Kris shortly after & remember that there were few words but many tears. My shift was over soon after & I drove home listening to the radio detail the events in NY. When I arrived home I hugged my baby Zach so tight I think he crawled out of my grip. I sat with Zach the rest of the day glued to the TV - watching the story unfold. I did not sleep that day. I talked with Kris many times that day - we cried & comforted each other. I had so much fear for her - for Brian. I am so proud of my brother for defending our great country & I am proud of his wife and kids who have been his ground & support through every disaster, act of terrorism, war and constant training. Today and everyday I am proud of my Marine brother & his Marine family!
ReplyDeleteLOVE that video, Kristin. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try to show it to my classes on Monday. Let's hope it isn't blocked by our web-filters. :)
ReplyDeleteAWESOME POST!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the words! You have no idea how much that means to me. You are a person I greatly admire and I hope you know how much you (and the rest of the Macy clan) mean to us!!!
It wouldn't let me post "my story" on here. It said it was too long :( So, I am going to post it on my page.
Your words were beatiful!!
Love you lots!!!
Shan