Monday, August 30, 2010

Lovely London

Spent a few days in London!  LOVED IT!

Big Ben from the London Eye
On Wednesday, Brian and I arrived, we checked into a rather...questionable hotel.  Our hotel room had just been "cleaned", however, there were 3 dirty towels and small pebbles in our bed.  We went to have lunch, and you can tell that Brian and I were both quite devastated.  After we ordered our lunch and a beer, I decided to walk (run) over to the Best Western that was right across the street from our hotel.  Luckily, they had a room available for the night.  We ate our lunch and went back to our hotel checked out and checked in to the hotel across the street.  What a difference!!!  Note to self:  ALWAYS read hotel reviews BEFORE booking a hotel.  Anyways, after we moved, we decided to take a walk around the city.  We walked a total of about 18km!  I only know this because of my pedometer.

A picture I knew my family would get
a good laugh at.
On Thursday, before we picked up the kids from the airport, we checked out of our 2nd hotel and headed across town to check into our 3rd (and final) hotel.  Rooms weren't ready, so we just left our luggage and headed over the the Tower of London.  I think our favorite were The Raven's and The Crown Jewels.  After that we headed towards Heathrow to get my arms around my littles who I was just so excited to see.  I was a little nervous, because we were a little late, but luckily, they were late too.  And then, it took them an hour to get brought to the gate!  But, once I saw them.  I was in Heaven!  We headed back to the hotel to get checked in and let the kids change out of their jammies.  After a short stay in our room, we headed to The London Eye to welcome our babies back with a Champagne Flight.  Brian and I each got a glass of champagne and Ky and Christopher had their choice of water or OJ.  We toasted a Welcome Home toast and enjoyed the views of London.

The Macy's on the London Eye with Big Ben in the
background.
On Friday, we didn't plan anything.  We just decided to take it easy with the kids just getting back and all.  We ate breakfast, headed over to Hyde Park and went on the paddle boats.  After that, we went and had lunch at the original Hard Rock Cafe.  The kids decided they wanted to feed the squirrels in the park, so we were on a mission to find peanuts.  We found Pistachios, Cashews and some other kinds.  We headed back to the park and they fed the squirrels and pigeons.  After that, we headed back to our hotel.  We were all exhausted.  Sleep didn't come easy though.  Well, for some of us it did, for some of us (Christopher) it didn't. I swear that kid could live on no sleep at all.  Ever since he was born he has thought sleep was overrated.  OK, sorry about the tangent.  Anyways, I woke up to some scary movie on TV and some totally inappropriate words being screamed out in the top of somebody's lungs.

Ky on the paddle boats at Hyde Park.

Christopher on the paddle boats at Hyde Park.


Saturday, we had tickets for a Royal Day Out at Buckingham Palace.  We headed over to see the Changing of the Guard first.  Then after that, headed into the Mews, the State Rooms, and the Queen's Gallery.  Buckingham Palace is only open for about six weeks during the summer, and luckily our trip corresponded with that.  After our visit at Buckingham Palace, we headed over to Abbey Road where we found a quaint Pub and enjoyed some lunch.  After lunch, we headed over to Abbey Road Studios and signed the wall.  I mean...really...we had to.  Even though I don't condone graffiti.  After Abbey Road, we headed back to our hotel to get packed for our EARLY flight.  We all got packed and watched TV.  Of course, sleep didn't come at a decent hour..again.

Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.

Sunday we were up at 4am and off to the airport and heading home.  The kids couldn't wait to get Charley.  Christopher couldn't wait to get his new Legos and Ky had a surprise waiting for her at home too.  A cell phone!  Yes...we got her a cell phone.  Brian and I both were pretty adamant at not getting her one until at least High School, but with the issues with the buses last year we thought it was a good idea.  So far, she has been extremely responsible with it.  Hope she keeps it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment